Jesus said a lot of cool things when he was cruising around the Middle East a few years ago:
(1) “Blessed are the peacemakers . . ..” (Matthew 5:9)
(2) “Let any of you who is without sin throw the first stone . . ..” (John 8:7)
(This explains why Tebow never learned to throw.)
3) “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)
He wasn’t kidding about that one. Jesus is everywhere.
He’s on top of mountains.
He’s on pieces of bread.
He’s in a “galaxy far, far away.”
He’s inside computers.
He’s in blue tights.
Most recently, he’s in a wannabe Terminator outfit.
For those of you who aren’t geeks, that is a scene from “Elysium,” the new Matt Damon sci-fi flick. Although I thought the movie was a hot mess, like so many other films, it was the story of Jesus wrapped in modern and violent packaging. Although the “Elysium” Jesus was a gun-toting carjacker who blows people’s faces off with grenades, it was still Jesus. [[ SPOILER ALERT ]] In the movie, Earth kind of sucked, due to war, poverty, and pollution, and all the rich folks peaced out to Elysium, a floating space station where there was no suffering, no sickness, and no death. In this “heaven,” there were sweet gardens, pool parties, and rockin’ spaceships. And then one dude, Matt Damon, changed everything. He shot a lot of people and then he sacrificed his own life so everyone stuck on Earth could become citizens of Elysium. What up, Jesus?! [[ END SPOILER ]]
That made me wonder why Hollywood and the rest of us who have normal jobs are so obsessed with Jesus. Here’s my uneducated guesses:
2. Jesus gave us Christmas. Thanks, Jesus.
3. The story of Jesus is compelling. A dude from humble beginnings taught some epic messages about peace, love, and grace. Yet, he was persecuted and tortured. And then he died a gruesome death to save the lives of others. However, just like the Terminator, he came back. Regardless of your religious beliefs, that’s a rad story.
4. Not only is the story of Jesus pretty rad, but it’s also compelling. It can change lives. If you’re looking for some hope and purpose in your life, try Jesus. Even if you’re not down with the whole Son of God and Resurrection stuff, living a life full of grace and service is always a good thing. And if you’re looking to make a movie that will earn hundreds of millions of dollars, try Jesus. And then give him some sweet tats and lots of guns.